For some folks this is a difficult passage right now. They don't like the philosophical basis behind the current administration. They don't like the direction the country seems to be going (it's not just "leaning" anymore). They realize history has shown us that government intervention in commerce and a managed economy are doomed to failure.
“I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone-- for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.”-1 Timothy 2:1-4 (NIV)
A good friend of mine (you know who you are!), is really working hard at it because he is so set against everything he sees our government doing and believing. He is working at it, though (aren't you?).
A couple of weeks ago, at a Bible study, the following prayer was brought to our attention. It was written by the second most well-known author in history, "Author Unknown." I pass it along for your perusal, comments, maybe for your adoption.
Beloved Father, we pray that our elected officials would recognize their personal sinfulness and need for the cleansing power of Jesus Christ.
- Help them to understand their inadequacy for the task before them and their need to pray to You for wisdom, knowledge, and courage.
- Move them to reject all counsel that violates the spiritual principles of Your Word and be willing to trust You to lead them in the right direction.
- Guide them and give them insight to resist the pressures of those who would lead them astray or tempt them to disobey You and Your will for their lives.
- Help them also to work to reverse the trend toward ungodliness in our land and to restore America’s Christ-centered values.
- Prepare them to make godly choices in the best interest of America regardless of the cost.
- Help them to maintain dignity, honor, trustworthiness, and righteousness in office.
- Convict them to be a godly example to the men, women, and children of this land.
- And, Dear God, constantly remind them that while in office they are accountable to You for their attitudes, actions, and motives. Amen